Philippine Mountainbiking Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SS for first mtb???

+4
mountguitars
maxbuwaya
sup
primera
8 posters

Go down

SS for first mtb??? Empty SS for first mtb???

Post by primera Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:21 am

Hello SSirs, should i continue with my plan to build up a SS as my first mtb or should i start with gears first? I notice that most of the SS riders here (i think) started with geared bikes before they switch to SS. Am i right or i'm just confused? I'm attracted to SS because of it's simplicity and the cost of course, but even then should i still go for SS or just start with gears? Reading posts from SS riders experiences, sometimes i get discourage, because of the taught that:
-SS mtb riders always gets left behind by geared mtb riders...
-SS mtb is for the 'monsters', the 'carabaos', the 'mighty' ones, especially for trail riding with long climbs

By the way, i don't want to be a poser only, riding a 'mountain' bike mostly on pave roads, i'd like to do it on trails for the thrill of it and to build my mtb riding skills.

I hope you can give a noobie like me a good advise as to which bike i should go with first, SS or geared?

TIA Smile

primera
Shy type
Shy type

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

SS for first mtb??? Empty Re: SS for first mtb???

Post by sup Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi primera, I think you're hard core! Twisted Evil

Well, my short answer to you is that it really depends.

Go for SS if:
- you're really determined
- budget conscious
- trails/route does not have really long climbs

Don't if:
...well, just the reverse of what I said above.

What you should be really asking yourself is that will you ride with it forever?

I have to admit, there are limitations using SS. I don't see any with geared bikes. As for MTB riding skills, you can do it with any bike. All you need is practice.

Most SSers started with geared bikes. Most SSers still have geared bikes.

What I could recommend to you is go for geared then get a conversion kit (kahit 2nd hand). That way, you could try SS and see if you like it.

If you have the budget, go for a Voodoo Wanga or a Jamis Exile 29er or any bike that you could easilly switch from geared to SS without the use of a tensioner. Solid! Twisted Evil
sup
sup
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by primera Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:40 pm

@sup, thanks for your recommendation. actually i'm not hard core, i'm more of a 'jazz' type of person who likes to 'jam' with other mtbikers. just like in making jazz music you don't want to be left out of rhythm with the band, you always have to stay with the beat, so i think since i like to go into mtbiking i want to be up to the beat, that's why the ???, which type of 'band' or group should i choose to belong? the 'Pop' or geared bikes band? or the 'indie', 'alternative' or SS bikes band? hmmm Question

by the way, i alreay have an ava 2.0 frame, 2.1 knobby xc wheelset, and front suspension, brakes & gears na lang kulang...that's why the dilemma scratch

primera
Shy type
Shy type

Back to top Go down

Post by maxbuwaya Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:33 am

am not a hard core too but i own an SS. Our trail in Cavite is usually flat kaya ok lang sa akin ang SS.

Kaya ko siguro mga short burst lang na akyatan, pero kung mga akyatan like sa maarat trails tulak ako nun for sure. (Sa geared bike nga tulak din eh hehehehe)

Dati nag la mesa kami, hindi ko alam mga kasama, turns out mga branded halimaw pala puro mga naka SS kami geared bike iwan pa din kami.

Sabi nga ng isang tatak ng Sapatos.

Just do it!
maxbuwaya
maxbuwaya
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mountguitars Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 am

tama, just do it!

later on, dun mo na madidiscover kung anong para sayo but you have to start first and it doesnt matter kung geared or ss ang gamit mo. what's important is you start turning those cranks. Very Happy
mountguitars
mountguitars
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 2249
Humor : http://failblog.org
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rattrapante Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 am

Have you considered going in between? Like a 1x9 set-up?

rattrapante
Shy type
Shy type

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by primera Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 am

thanks guySS, i think that 1x9 set up is a good suggestion though...hmmmm?

primera
Shy type
Shy type

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanusuke Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Go SS kafatid!!!
MaSSarap! Ewan ko lang kasi mas sinasakyan ko yun singol ko kesa geared. Tamad kasi ako maglinis ng bike and panget components ng geared ko. hehe

Tsaka minsan kasi ayoko may kasabay sa trail, lalo pag bigla ka napasabay sa group na stranger ka. Magandang dahilan na mag paiwan ka or mauna ka sa kanila. At isa pa, mas mapapansin ka sa group rides. Epal kasi ako kaya type ko yung ganun. lol!
ryanusuke
ryanusuke
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 129
Humor : Humus
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by primera Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:22 pm

SSirs, tanong ko na lang din mabagal ba talaga pag naka SS sa flats? Estimate nyo at how fast can you go (at maximum) with a 32x16 combo? 40 to 50 kms/hr or less? And by the way what's the starter combo best for a first timer SS mtbiker, 32x16 or 32x18? Thanks Smile

primera
Shy type
Shy type

Back to top Go down

Post by Ako Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm

i suggest go geared first. kung naguguluhan ka. basahin mo uli reply ni sup.
Ako
Ako
Poser
Poser

Female Number of posts : 511
Humor : anybody
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by primera Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm

...sige na nga, nadadamay ko na kayo sa dilemma ko...

...as of now my final decision is... scratch

...go SS...cheers

...kung hindi kaya... No

...eh di mag 1x9 as suggested by @rattrapante Laughing

...thanks for your time guys Cool

primera
Shy type
Shy type

Back to top Go down

Post by flipnidaho Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:43 am

if you're going to do any kind of hills, start with a geared setup first to build up the legs and stamina... but if you only ride, say Riverbanks, you can go SS as a first bike...

Oh yeah, also, it's the other way around. Geared riders get left behind by SS riders when the trail points up... but the reverse is mostly true when it points down...

flipnidaho
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanusuke Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:48 am

primera wrote:SSirs, tanong ko na lang din mabagal ba talaga pag naka SS sa flats? Estimate nyo at how fast can you go (at maximum) with a 32x16 combo? 40 to 50 kms/hr or less? And by the way what's the starter combo best for a first timer SS mtbiker, 32x16 or 32x18? Thanks Smile

If mag SS ka talaga, max speed sa flats ang 25kph on 32x16... Go for 32x18 muna. Hindi naman sa nagamamarunong pero mabigat ang 16 sa trails.IMHO

Pero kung di ka naman budget concious, mas ok nga na geared muna sana. Or just choose your poison na lang, pareho lang naman masarap yan.
ryanusuke
ryanusuke
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 129
Humor : Humus
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum