Philippine Mountainbiking Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone into Cramping?

+23
wcoastbo
nell7806
Ako
goma
plankton_dash
hairball
allan
zap
jr.
timtan
Admin
mountguitars
ann
ryanusuke
Tolits
Bayot
retzel
MarkDC
angelob
Arman
albert
jaymz
brusko
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Anyone into Cramping? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone into Cramping?

Post by aquifer Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 am

So far, I've only experienced major cramps once. Yung you really have to rest and recover so you can continue riding..(thanks to Edong and Jesser). It was during my ride last December 08 with Tolits and company. THough I recovered in the halfway mark..T'was a 100Kms + ride of combined paved road, fire roads and trails. Maybe one thing is that I did not got any ample rest before that ride because I drived at 330am from Subic to catch up the meet up time at Pasig by 6am..or maybe I was just riding with peeps with riding pace way above my own pace.

Ample rest and exact ride riding pace would I think prevent cramps..given that you're in shape and has hydrated properly..

Na experience ko na rin yung experience ni Bayot..pero yung kay Bruce, hindi pa..hehehe..
aquifer
aquifer
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Anyone into Cramping? - Page 3 Empty Cramping and other Cycling Injuries

Post by bm5er Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:11 am

I was researching on cramps and found this comprehensive discussion, to include other injuries. Thought this might be useful to share with everyone....

http://everythingbicycling.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=58

bm5er
Shy type
Shy type

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by metal Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 am

CAUSES OF CRAMPS
There are a number of causes of cramping:[1] hyperflexion; hypoxia; exposure to large changes in temperature; dehydration; low blood salt; or low blood calcium. Muscle cramps may also be a symptom or complication of pregnancy, kidney disease, thyroid disease, hypokalemia or hypocalcemia (as conditions), restless legs syndrome, varicose veins,[2] and multiple sclerosis.[3]

Electrolyte disturbance may cause cramping and tetany of muscles, particularly hypokalaemia (a low level of potassium) and hypocalcaemia (a low level of calcium). This disturbance arises as the body loses large amounts of interstitial fluid through sweat. This interstitial fluid is composed mostly of water and table salt (sodium chloride). The loss of osmotically active particles outside muscle cells leads to a disturbance of the osmotic balance and swelling of muscle cells as these contain more osmotically active particles. This causes the calcium pump between the muscle lumen and sarcoplasmic reticulum to short circuit and the calcium ions remain bound to the troponin and the muscle contraction is continued. This may occur when the lactic acid is high in the cells.

As early as 1965 it was observed that leg cramps and restless legs syndrome can be a result of excess insulin, sometimes called hyperinsulinemia.[4] Hypoglycemia & reactive hypoglycemia are also known to be associated with excess insulin [or insufficient glucagon] and avoidance of low blood glucose concentration may help avoid cramps.

metal
Lurker
Lurker

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by metal Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:18 am

carbo loading before strenous activity will help reduce cramps

metal
Lurker
Lurker

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum