Philippine Mountainbiking Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone into Cramping?

+23
wcoastbo
nell7806
Ako
goma
plankton_dash
hairball
allan
zap
jr.
timtan
Admin
mountguitars
ann
ryanusuke
Tolits
Bayot
retzel
MarkDC
angelob
Arman
albert
jaymz
brusko
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone into Cramping? Empty Anyone into Cramping?

Post by brusko Thu May 21, 2009 10:03 am

Yesterday was the worst. After only riding 40kms, 50% of that uphill, I found myself in the mercy of cramps.

After resting at home with my legs on the table, I stood up to get water. It suddenly stabbed me: cramps. It was excruciating! I must have cursed like hell.

Does this happen to anyone here or am I a mutant (not the cursing- just the cramps)?

Even during my salad days, I found myself cramping at home while resting. I found that it suddenly sneaks in when I move a certain way from resting position. Thing is, this happened when I rode hard and long.

Have I been training the wrong way? Haven't I trained enough? Not warming up and warming down enough? No stretching? Nutrition getting in the way, maybe?

Is anyone here into cramping as well? Very Happy
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 2868
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Anyone into Cramping? Empty Re: Anyone into Cramping?

Post by jaymz Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 am

sabi nila not enough liquid intake... hydration. before,during,after strenuous activity/ies.

last time i cursed like hell 'cuz of cramps was during my halcon climb in 02... heavy muscle mass ako because of my then weight-pit sessions & dipping into competitive bodybuilding...

...user kasi ako ng creatine dati...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine
Creatine supplementation using recommended dosages has not been linked with any adverse side effects beyond occasional dehydration due to increased muscular water uptake from the rest of the body.[8] In fact, an increase in muscle mass and therefore body mass because of increased muscle hydration is the most widely accepted side effect of creatine supplementation.
Side effects that produce lower leg pain may be associated with the use of creatine. Creatine may be the cause of an increase in the anterior pressures of the lower leg. This is usually found in post-creatine use when at rest and after exercise. Normal at-rest pressures have been found to be highly elevated by subjects who used creatine within the prior 35 days when compared to no supplementation. This can produce an extreme amount of pain in the lower leg due to the rigidity of the anterior compartment of the lower leg and lack of fluid drainage out of the compartment. It may also be exacerbated by the increase of water content in the muscle fibers, putting more pressure on the anterior compartment.

add: Manny Pacquiao: "tingan mo yang muscle na yan..."

Last edited by jaymz on Thu May 21, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jaymz
jaymz
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 3072

Back to top Go down

Post by albert Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 am

masakit ba talaga yung cramps?? baka nga dapat mag-hydrate lang lagi.. been to different sports: tennis, basketball, swimming, softball, bjj at padyak.. pero di ko pa naranasan yan... seryoso.. di ko alam kung bakit.... siguro din gawa ng pagflex ko sa binti at hindi ko before the activities...
albert
albert
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Arman Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 am

Try mo magpamasahe. Bka matigas na ung mga muscles mo.

Arman
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by angelob Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 am

I've experience muscle cramps on shorter rides too.. one ride I remember was when I did a short 30km loop on road. I was hammering all the way. Seated during the flat sections and standing up during the climbs. 15km pa lang nag cramps na yung binti ko while standing up and hammering a longish climb. In short, not all cramps can be associated with dehydration and electrolyte depletion. In my case, I think is over exertion of my calf muscles. Hindi kasi sanay na tumatayo, gusto laging nakaupo sa saddle, tamad eh. Pero yung cramps, naramdaman ko pa lang na parating, umupo na ako so na minimize. After 5 or 10 seconds or so of soft pedalling, ratsada na ulit at parang walang nagyari. Tingin ko the source of this particular cramp was not electrolyte imbalance because I did this ride 5:30 in the morning, malamig at konti pa lang napapawis ko. Overexertion tingin ko ang dahilan since hindi sanay ang binti ko na tinatayuan yung climbs.

On another occasion, meron akong sinalihan na MTB marathon race nung nag uumpisa pa lang ako. 70km 50%road, 50% off road, very minimal climbs. Ayun tinamaan ako ng cramps at kilometer 65. Tingin ko combination ng overexertion and dehydration. This cramp was the worse cramp I ever had. I couldn't pedal my bike. Tingin ko electrolyte imbalance ang source ng cramps na ito since almost two hours na akong pumapadyak at 11am ng nangyari ang cramps so sobrang init na.

Siguro ibaiba talaga causes ng cramps. Even mga scientist hindi pa rin 100% sure kung bakit nagkaka cramps. Sanayan na lang siguro para hindi magka cramps

Last edited by angelob on Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
angelob
angelob
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkDC Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am

Kulang ka siguro sa electrolytes pards.
MarkDC
MarkDC
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 609
Humor : seriously funny
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by retzel Thu May 21, 2009 11:26 am

tinitigasan ka lang papa bruce!

more electrolyte in take lang yan

retzel
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 am

san ka naman nagbike?
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 am

Hindi ko na i-goo-google ha... anong electrolyte? I took vitamins the night before, and the night before that. Isn't that enough?

Alam ko meron electrolyte ang Gatorade. So kung iinumin ko ito bago mag ride, hindi ako mauubusan ng electrolyte?

Pansin ko rin nun nag r-road ako, I tried 100kms a day for four days starting Monday. Rest on Friday. By Saturday, I was able to keep up with the big guns to Mang Vic's. I'm not sure how long that was but starting from the base of Antipolo along Sumulong, pukpukan na. The climbs weren't hard but we rode fast and hard. I had to return once we got to Mang Vic's because I had to tend to the shop. I'm not sure about the distance but when I got home, I didn't cramp. Could it be training? Oh BTW, I drank a bottle of Gatorade when I got home- just to reward myself. And if I may add, before doing 400kms of base, I was off the saddle for about a month.
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 am

Bayot wrote:san ka naman nagbike?

Paakyat ng AFP to Giant- tapos baba din duon.
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Thu May 21, 2009 12:18 pm

aside from low electrolytes, susunod na maykasalanan masel patig

ang electrolyte di lang tinutoma sa aktibidades na mismo, kukulangin ka nun

kung may napapanahon kang padyakan o pulikathon, isang linggo ako naghahydrate

di ubra gatorade sa kakababuyan ko, i usually load up on NUUN tabs kung may available or off the counter ORS (may flavors na). i claims to have 5 time more required nutrients than your gatorade or equal. pero di ko naman napapansin, mas napapansin kong di laspag hita ko at di namumulikat. lalo na sa mga multiday pulikathon.

hydration pa lang yun, iba pa yung may karga yung binti.

brus,
wag ka maniwala sa pinagsasabi ko, chenes lang to.

hala!
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 pm

brusko wrote:And if I may add, before doing 400kms of base, I was off the saddle for about a month.

flower ang salarin
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Tolits Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 pm

yun lang yun brus..kulang ka talaga sa ensayo..ako i only suffer from cramps pag kulang sa ride.

minsan lang nangyari sa akin that i suffered massive cramps (ito rin pinaka-grabe)pero may ensayo ako..nai-kwento ko narin ito..EBD race sa batangas..i woke up with a very bad headache..biked from the parking area (SM batangas) to the venue isang km lang yata yun..pag dating i was sweating unusually heavy..wala rin yata ako sa focus kasi naiwan ko yung helmet ko sa pasig LOL! Very Happy

halfway sa race nadaanan ako sa tabi ng kalsada ni grnhrnt na nakahiga sa lupa sa sakit..tipong hindi ka umiiyak pero kusang lumalabas luha sa mata mo hehe!...the night before the race, more than 1 hr yata ako na naglinis ako ng CR using clorox..which i don't usually do...since kulang sa ventilation, maaaring sort of nalason ako ng fumes dun sa chemical.

so conclusion ko sa cause, una, kulang sa training..pangalawa, may nangyari sa katawan mo na masama.
Tolits
Tolits
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 2436
Humor : are we good?

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanusuke Fri May 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Huli ko ng cramps nung try ko uli mag sit ups, medyo bumulwak na kasi yung fats sa tyan.(poser kasi)

Namputs! Nakaka 25th pa lang ako nanigas yung right abdominals ko, tas parang umakyat sa leeg di ako nakahinga for 15 seconds ata. As in para ako nabaldado ng ilang segundo bago ako nakatayo. Wala pa naman akong kasama sa room kala ko mamatay na ko. Laughing

Di ko na ulit yun sit ups. Siguro yung large intestine ko yun na gustong lumipat sa tabi ng brain.

Masakit din yung sa hita kasi parang aakyat sya dun sa isang lugar na sagrado. bounce
ryanusuke
ryanusuke
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 129
Humor : Humus
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ann Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 pm

must've been the clorox, tolits Very Happy hehehe

i used to be a cramper... used to get leg cramps in the middle of the night. (mali yata position tapos biglang palit.) my dad says i lack potasium so he told me to eat bananas. (the fruit po...). my biker friends naman say u get cramps when u're dehydrated.

the solution: water/gatorade and bananas. Smile

brusko wrote: I must have cursed like hell.

Does this happen to anyone here or am I a mutant (not the cursing- just the cramps)?

must have cursed like hell??? what else is new? on cramps though, dong wori, u're not alone Smile
ann
ann
Poser
Poser

Female Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Sat May 23, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks everyone!

Mag sh-shopping ako sa Mercury drug for Nuuns, ORS, Gatorade and Potassium supplements.

Ryan, ikaw nakaka 25... ako 10 lang. Very Happy hehehe
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Sat May 23, 2009 9:49 pm

brusko wrote:Thanks everyone!

Mag sh-shopping ako sa Mercury drug for Nuuns, ORS, Gatorade and Potassium supplements.

Ryan, ikaw nakaka 25... ako 10 lang. Very Happy hehehe

so sa hydration mo sinisisi aber? di sa off saddle time?

ako na nga rin
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkDC Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Maganda din daw sa cramp prevention ang hydration with alkaline water.
MarkDC
MarkDC
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 609
Humor : seriously funny
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Mas maraming nag sabi ng hydration lang at deficiency sa electrolytes yun problema. Ok nako dun! At least hindi ko kailangan bawasan tulog ko sa umaga! hehehe
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 pm

pwede din pakabit ng iv dextrose habang anatutulog. ano na ba tong naiisip ko
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by mountguitars Sun May 24, 2009 10:35 pm

i remember going to the bank to check on some accounts and then while sitting down and waiting for the information, bigla akong pinulikat. naka upo lang ako. i've been biking naman pero all of a sudden pinulikat ako.

siguro ito yung isang klaseng pulikat. the kind you also get when your asleep though the one's that you get when your asleep are the most painful kind.

honga, bakit may mga taong hindi pinupulikat?

i heard kaloi never had a pulikat before.
mountguitars
mountguitars
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 2249
Humor : http://failblog.org
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Sun May 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Ganun pag matanda. Tamo si Goku... pareho sila. Very Happy
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Sun May 24, 2009 11:44 pm

ang taba di pinupulikat, masel lang Razz
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 am

Onga noh!

Hala... lamon na!
Admin
Admin
Poser
Poser

Number of posts : 656
Registration date : 2008-08-11

https://philippinemtbforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tolits Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 am

yeah, let's go cramping...san tayo this weekend? What a Face
Tolits
Tolits
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayot Mon May 25, 2009 2:36 pm

ako as usual boring road ride...56x11 Razz pagpinulikat utak istap
Bayot
Bayot
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by albert Mon May 25, 2009 4:59 pm

mountguitars wrote:i remember going to the bank to check on some accounts and then while sitting down and waiting for the information, bigla akong pinulikat. naka upo lang ako. i've been biking naman pero all of a sudden pinulikat ako.

siguro ito yung isang klaseng pulikat. the kind you also get when your asleep though the one's that you get when your asleep are the most painful kind.

seryoso boss, meron ngang hindi... so far... isa ako sa mga yun.... been into different sports, kahit 12 noon e nakikipaglaban ng tennis, kahit contact sports, pero di pa talaga ko pinupulikat...

last saturday, from my town to UP Mud spring (lagpas lang ng konti sa stra. rosa), pinadyak ko pati pauwi shempre... pero kahit sign parang wala... nung hinapo ako, umupo ako, pero mukhang wala din...

seryoso.. abnormal ba to??
albert
albert
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by brusko Mon May 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Sa umaga, walang pinupulikat sayo? Very Happy
brusko
brusko
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by Tolits Mon May 25, 2009 6:25 pm

albert wrote:
mountguitars wrote:i remember going to the bank to check on some accounts and then while sitting down and waiting for the information, bigla akong pinulikat. naka upo lang ako. i've been biking naman pero all of a sudden pinulikat ako.

seryoso boss, meron ngang hindi... so far... isa ako sa mga yun.... been into different sports, kahit 12 noon e nakikipaglaban ng tennis, kahit contact sports, pero di pa talaga ko pinupulikat...

last saturday, from my town to UP Mud spring (lagpas lang ng konti sa stra. rosa), pinadyak ko pati pauwi shempre... pero kahit sign parang wala... nung hinapo ako, umupo ako, pero mukhang wala din...

seryoso.. abnormal ba to??

baka naman you usually ride alone...try riding with a very competitive bunch..o kaya sali ka sa mtb marathon race..after that at wala parin...abnormal ka nga...abnormal ba tawag talaga duon? What a Face

Last edited by Tolits on Mon May 25, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tolits
Tolits
Poser
Poser

Back to top Go down

Post by timtan Mon May 25, 2009 6:28 pm

sa aking pananaw mga kaibigan.

Partly hydration but i think its more on how often our muscles get worked out. Our muscles can endure certain amount of activity and it depends on how we train or how our muscles are used to the activity... if we over exert initially we feel the that muscle part starting to weaken, next slight feeling of pain, lastly cramps. cramps para sakin ay pagod na pagod na legs ko. kahit hydrated ako pupulikatin parin ako dahil sobra na sa pagod ng legs and i think it's not about hydration anymore...

pero, ngunit, subalit may mga tao talaga na pulikatin. Ang sabi nila na lahi daw nila... a close friend of mine is really like this. even if we play ball ganun talaga sya. there was an incident na yung utol nya pinulikat yung legs tapos umakyat daw sa hip area yung pulikat. ang sabi daw masama daw na umangat hanggang sa heart cause there's a posibility na huminto ang pagtibok ng puso pag ganun...

so pwedeng nasa lahi din, o nasa training talaga sya... you decide Smile

PS: awa ng Diyos di kami ganun...
timtan
timtan
Poser
Poser

Male Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum